[lbo-talk] autumn of the communes

Dennis Claxton ddclaxton at earthlink.net
Tue Nov 1 02:18:39 PDT 2011

Carrol wrote:

>Now consider the ad himinem argument, and it will be best to give
>several examples.
>
>****** 1. John is illiterate. 2. John affirms X 3. Therefore X is
>evil. ******
>
>***** John is a wonderful person. John affirms X Therefore X is true. *****
>
>The topic of the discourse is X:

I had to read this a few times to get my head around it. As I've learned once again this fall trying to help the kid with math homework, I'm not so good with the x and y stuff.

After reading multiple times, I'm wondering why this ad himinem (heh) example doesn't apply to something you wrote the other day:

>Oh fuck you.... You and Doug are really fucking amateurs who don't
>know you are amateurs.

How is calling someone an amateur different than calling them illiterate or wonderful? As Lt. Columbo used to say, "explain this to me like I'm a three-year-old."