[lbo-talk] contradictions

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Wed Nov 2 14:57:38 PDT 2011

-----Original Message----- From: lbo-talk-bounces at lbo-talk.org [mailto:lbo-talk-bounces at lbo-talk.org] On Behalf Of shag carpet bomb Sent: Wednesday, November 02, 2011 4:36 PM To: lbo-talk at lbo-talk.org Subject: [lbo-talk] contradictions

It's call ad hominem tu quoque. http://www.nizkor.org/features/fallacies/ad-hominem-tu-quoque.html

SA s11131978 at gmail.com wrote:

In my mind, pointing out a contradiction in what somebody says is a legitimate thing to do in a discussion and doesn't indicate insincerity or bad faith.

Of course not. Dennis C has pointed out an important contradiction in one o my posts, & I have been working on a very friendly reply to his psot.

Freshman students have no difficulty understanding a rather simple kind of logical contradiction which has been commented on by rhetoricians and logicians for over 2000 years. It's amazing that the bight people on this list have so much trouble grasping this simple point.

Carrol