[lbo-talk] Fordham research on OWS Donors?

shag carpet bomb shag at cleandraws.com
Wed Nov 2 17:21:46 PDT 2011

Our local NPR affiliate interviewed OWS folks and some scholars of social movements from area colleges. Not only did the people we elected to rep us do a fantastic job, but the public support was amazing. Normally, this conservative military town has the most ridiculous callers. E.g., when we do a show about our bike advocacy group, there were people calling in to say that we shouldn't be riding in the streets, that the lycra we wear is ridiculous, and if we get hit by cars it's deserved.

Even the show's host, who is normally a douche, was a much more chastened douche than normal.

There was mention of a Fordham University study on OWS NYC and the donors contributing. Does anyone know anything about this. Googling, I came up with nothing. Lots of articles, but no pointer to the research or even a fairly decent blog article.

According to what I jotted down, this is what the study found:

Of donors, the average donor is from middle class.[1] Average age = 33

Median Donation: $22 Mean donation: $60

Of the 325k in donations, they money is from -- 37 countries -- from an average of 862 miles away from NYC

[1] I'm assuming they did this by looking at the list of email addresses provided to the donation software and then plugging those addresses into marketing software that can give you demographic and psychographic data associated wiht an email adress. e.g., if you use an email address for facebook, google+ etc., there are services that collate all that data and then sell the tools to sift through it, so you can use it in marketing and product development.