[lbo-talk] New Libyan Prime Minister is U.S. Citizen

Michael Smith mjs at smithbowen.net
Wed Nov 2 18:38:06 PDT 2011

On Thu, 3 Nov 2011 10:04:31 +1100 Mike Beggs <mikejbeggs at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Nov 3, 2011 at 9:57 AM, Michael Smith <mjs at smithbowen.net> wrote:
>
> > Golly, was that what they said?! I need to read the
> > book again, obviously.
>
> Well, you tell us - you brought them up!

They put their own case better than I can sum it up:

http://www.lrb.co.uk/v28/n06/john-mearsheimer/the-israel-lobby

or

http://bit.ly/1AJqHK

This piece was later expanded into a book (The Israel Lobby), which caused a bit of a stir. M & W came to New York shortly afterwards to be baited by Dennis Ross and some Israeli politician, and to my surprise the New York crowd ended up more or less on their side. I wrote up the event at the time:

http://www.counterpunch.org/2006/09/29/israel-sends-in-the-clowns/

or:

http://bit.ly/uxWGrq

I tend to think they got it mostly right, though this is apparently a minority view on the Left.

-- --

Michael J. Smith mjs at smithbowen.net

http://stopmebeforeivoteagain.org http://www.cars-suck.org http://fakesprogress.blogspot.com

"I think the American people want a solemn ass as a President, and I think I will go along with them."

-- Barack Obama

(Okay, okay, it was really Calvin Coolidge.)