[lbo-talk] credit union data (fwd)

c b cb31450 at gmail.com
Fri Nov 4 10:03:20 PDT 2011

Michael Pollak

On Fri, 4 Nov 2011, Doug Henwood wrote:

> Re: credit unions, here's the federal data page:
>
> http://www.ncua.gov/DataApps/Pages/CRSum.aspx
>
> A quick look at the latest call report suggests that CUs already have
> more money than they know what to do with. Their loans portfolios have
> been shrinking, and their cash and investments have been growing. If
> they get an influx of money, that will probably intensify the trend.

I've been thinking of your article and Garson's book a lot as this thing has picked up. Question: is it possible that, while this move your money campaign will have zero effect on the capitalist character of investment, that it might still exert useful pressure through stigmatization?

I've heard argued that divestment against South Africa never hurt the South African economy much, and its military not at all, but the stigmatization involved was decisive.

Michael

^^^^^^^^ CB: The 99% will have to go through reforms that don't accomplish much . Then discard them for more radical reforms.