[lbo-talk] credit union data

Miles Jackson milesvjackson at comcast.net
Fri Nov 4 12:23:05 PDT 2011

Doug Henwood wrote:

>Re: credit unions, here's the federal data page:
>
>http://www.ncua.gov/DataApps/Pages/CRSum.aspx
>
>A quick look at the latest call report suggests that CUs already have more money than they know what to do with. Their loans portfolios have been shrinking, and their cash and investments have been growing. If they get an influx of money, that will probably intensify the trend.

I will be the first to admit I'm naive about finance stuff, but why are the CUs just holding onto the money? Why not provide more attractive auto/home/small business loan terms and get the money out in the community where it will do some good? Sorry if I sound like George Bailey, but doesn't it defeat the purpose of credit unions if they just hold onto the money?

Miles