[lbo-talk] Occupy Oakland's imminent implosion and the wider effects

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Sat Nov 5 12:36:56 PDT 2011

Joanna: It's a mixed bag. From all reports, the marches during the general strike day were peaceful and joyous. But the black block actions have been completely counterproductive.

No doubt. But to repeat something I've written many times on this list:

There will always be a Black Bloc or equivalent. There will always be provocaterus There will always be Democrats in the leadership (though they won't always know it themselves) Name it (anything counter-productive) and you will have named what will ALWAYS be 'there'

Such elements, tendencies, etc are simply part of the world in which leftists have to operate the best they can. A couple weeks ago I wondered if anyone could supply a one-sentence blast at Anti-Fed sentiments. (Or something like that.) Then I decided fuck it. We just have to accept such nonsense as part of the weather and ignore it.

A world in which left actions could be pure is a world that woudn't need a left.

Carrol