[lbo-talk] On vandalism and violence

// ravi ravi at platosbeard.org
Sat Nov 5 16:46:51 PDT 2011

On Nov 5, 2011, at 4:36 PM, from_alamut at yahoo.com wrote:
> Ghandhi did not win independence just by non-violence, but was supported by a wave of bombings and assassinations (not that I am advocating these far from it).

“Supported” is a strange way to put it. S.C.Bose and others took a different approach to the struggle. They met with very limited success. Gandhi disagreed explicitly with their strategy. He also suggested that a few thousand Englishmen could not forever control a few million Indians i.e., that at it was up to the British to choose if they wanted a violent resolution. But in saying so, he was not drawing on the “support” of, or silently encouraging the sporadic train bombing or Bose’s little army in Japan or elsewhere. After all, violence was a part of the Indian freedom struggle from the outset.

—ravi