[lbo-talk] Obama and Tea Party will be the winners

Nicholas Roberts nicholas at themediasociety.org
Sat Nov 5 17:06:47 PDT 2011

and fresh images of riot porn will give plenty of new energy to the anti-Occupy movement, the Tea Party, hopefully we wont see street level political violence, but its possible

there are neo-fascist groups that use much of the Anarchist baggage; black bloc, food justice etc http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National-Anarchism including a local Bay Area chapter http://www.splcenter.org/get-informed/intelligence-report/browse-all-issues/2009/summer/national-anarchism ... these guys are perfect for infiltration, provocation etc

also, I guess, its now given the MoveOns and Obama's Army people some handles or hooks

the obvious line will be, "gee, we know you are hurting, and its really moving to see the Occupy stuff, but its only going to go so far, at the Obama administration, we are making changes (X, Y, Z) and we can help you organize a more powerful and effective grass roots campaign. We too, are the 99% (disclaimers excluded)"

so, at least in the Bay Area, its given an opening for the establishment left (Obama, unions, etc) to quietly and carefully insinuate themselves, to help clean up, and cover for, what is potentially a messy ending to this little chapter

thats it for me with Occupy Oakland, I've done some meetings, done a demo, overly exposed myself

its going to be a long cold winter, and I'd prefer to quit while I am ahead.

as I've said, have a good look at the UK police infiltration of activists, the London riots, the G8 in Genoa and the movie Berlusconi's Mousetrap http://vimeo.com/8672001

the US activist scene is years behind the European one, in every way, and if anyone wants to really understand the strategy, tactics, success and failures, you really need to stop festishing the Occupy movement and Seattle