[lbo-talk] Occupy Oakland's imminent implosion and the wider effects

SA s11131978 at gmail.com
Sat Nov 5 18:31:11 PDT 2011

On 11/5/2011 9:15 PM, Joseph Catron wrote:

> 3. At least circa 2000, we most certainly did nothing "solely to
> create photo opps." In fact, the more memorable things occurred when
> their were no cameras to be seen. The goal of breaking a window (to
> pick a particular mode of action fetishized by both sides of this
> debate), like occupying a park, was direct action - reclaiming power
> without mediation - not delegating authority to the appointed
> sentinels of the bourgeoisie. Of course, all of this might have
> changed over the past decade. I'm completely open to hearing that
> argument ...

If six guys in hoodies went out one night at 3am and smashed a window, I'm sure most people in Occupy Oakland wouldn't care. It wouldn't be ruining anybody else's mobilization.

The complaint arises from the effect it has on the general strike for a bunch of people to smash stuff in the middle of the general strike.

SA