[lbo-talk] Occupy Oakland's imminent implosion and the wider effects

Bhaskar Sunkara bhaskar.sunkara at gmail.com
Sat Nov 5 19:00:58 PDT 2011

"Out of town" is kind of dubious. If I remember right it was like 30+ people from San Fran, the rest from elsewhere in the Bay Area, and a handful with out-of-state licenses. How many people hang on to their old licenses when they move?

Regardless, this whole analysis seems out of touch. The property destruction * was* trivial. Yes, the moment needs self-policing. Yes, tactically attacks on property are counterproductive. But I don't have any tears for Whole Food windows or "local and independent businesses." The problem is the media narratives focused on these events more than the actions themselves.