[lbo-talk] Occupy Oakland's imminent implosion and the wider effects

123hop at comcast.net 123hop at comcast.net
Sat Nov 5 19:38:50 PDT 2011

----- Original Message ----- From: "Joseph Catron" <jncatron at gmail.com>

It may feel like it does that, but how exactly does that work?

That is an excellent question! And the answer, in both cases, remains to be seen. I don't think it's my place to defend either the breaking of a window or the occupation of a park - those who are doing that stuff today can choose whether to justify themselves publicly or not - but if I were forced to register a defense, I might say that each opens up a new space for political debate that otherwise simply wouldn't exist.

--------- If you make anything abstract enough, then everything is like everything else.

When you occupy a public space or a space that ought to be public and shared, you are making a political statement.

When you break a window or a door, there is no political statement, unless it is the gate to a prison.

Details matter.

Joanna