[lbo-talk] On vandalism and violence

123hop at comcast.net 123hop at comcast.net
Sun Nov 6 15:41:02 PST 2011

----- Original Message ----- From: "Michael Smith" <mjs at smithbowen.net>

Joanna, you know I'm your biggest fan, but this is off the mark. I can't think of any social transformation that's been without violence. And it's not a male monopoly.

-- It is almost entirely a male monopoly.

And it might sometimes be necessary. But this specific discussion is about a specific act in a specific context. There was nothing necessary about defacing Whole Foods, nor for that matter, smashing ATMs.

And I am not "hysterical" in defense of Whole Foods or B of A, I am simply arguing what a handful of others are arguing, that this tactic harms the occupy movement, which is a bad thing.

What is radical about OWS is not the violence, but the consensus building and the growing realization on the part of millions that we do have power and that we do have the ability to organize ourselves and build the society we want and need.

Joanna