[lbo-talk] On vandalism and violence

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Mon Nov 7 06:16:20 PST 2011

Dennis Claxton wrote: [clip] We're talking about specific acts aren't we? Shutting down the port in Oakland specifically helps in a way that smashing things without a plan doesn't.

------

But as nonpartiipants in the Oakland Occupation we should NOT be discussing fragments of that Occupation. To focus on a fragment (the Black Bloc) is irresponsible individualism. We can focus on the whole of the Oakland events and their relationship to the whole of left activity in the U.S., but to focus on particular actions there, I repeat, is irresponsible self-expression which serves no political purpose whatever (except possibly to sow divisions among u.s. leftists).

Carrol

>And if we had to wait for these persuasive explanations, how could
>we ever fall in love,

Following this, the things said here about a kind of politics as "self-expression" aren't far off.