[lbo-talk] videos of events the night of Oakland Strike

shag carpet bomb shag at cleandraws.com
Mon Nov 7 09:15:53 PST 2011

RT footage right as they took over the building, commenter points out that the cops are pushing people forward into the scene, regardless as to whether they want to be there or not http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tPH4g5Hnf8M&feature=related

RT footage of cops tear gassing, someone breaking window, and a fight breaking out: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X3MqLOW9t-I&feature=related

RT Footage of the fight that broke out at Whole Foods. BTW, ostensibly, the attacks were on businesses that refused to let their employees participate in the strike. I notice a lot of cheering going on when BOA was smashed. I also notice that those silly telepathic non-violenter kids must have read LBO advice in advance for advice about how to deal with black bloc. heh.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X3MqLOW9t-I&feature=related

The damage that was done near downtown was done during the confrontation with cops. As one of the posts Eric linked to said, "Don't want vandalism, then cops should stay away." Had the cops simply stayed away and allowed for the takeover of those buildings, they would have had a dance party and set up a library.

this was extremely amusing as it turns out that one of the splits is between people who agreed with the action and don't have a problem with violence, they just didn't like the dance party. *rolls eyes* someone else worries about spray paint.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ow6w8q2xp8U

http://www.youtube.com/user/GIMMEADOLLAR1#p/a/u/1/M9hQmlhYylo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Hd_5Mv1C2w&feature=related

here's a post that describes the sequence. I think Eric already posted it:

"We understand that much of the conversation about last night will revolve around the question of violence (though mostly they mean violence to “property,” which is somehow strangely equated with harming human beings). We know that there are many perspectives on these questions, and we should make the space for talking about them. But let us say this to the cops and to the mayor: things got “violent” after the police came. The riot cops marched down Telegraph and then the barricades were lit on fire. The riots cops marched down Telegraph and then bottles got thrown and windows smashed. The riot cops marched down Telegraph and graffiti appeared everywhere.

The point here is obvious: if the police don’t want violence, they should stay the hell away.

-some friends of occupy Oakland"

Starting at pic number 27 and working forward, you get pics taken as things happened. While reports claimed that fires were started for no reasons, the first in these pics and as described, were fires started at the barricades, to keep police out. Additionally, as others have noted, the graffiti and window smashing took place AFTER the cops showed up and broke up the Traveler's Aid Building Occupation. Yeah, there was some other, spray painting. big fucking deal.

the pics are at the bottom: http://www.insidebayarea.com/oakland/ci_19255462

timeline: http://www.californiabeat.org/2011/11/02/live-blog-general-strike-turns-oakland-into-epicenter-for-occupy-movement