[lbo-talk] On vandalism and violence

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Mon Nov 7 09:17:23 PST 2011

On Nov 7, 2011, at 12:03 PM, Eric Beck wrote:

> On Mon, Nov 7, 2011 at 10:22 AM, Doug Henwood <dhenwood at panix.com> wrote:
>
>> It's hard not to conclude that the real answer is "because it feels good," but no one wants to say that out loud.
>
> Your ability to psychoanalyze from 3,000 miles is amazing.

Actually, Michael Smith is not 10 miles away.

But what I'm mostly remarking on is the inability of any proponents to explain just what breaking windows accomplishes. Like I said, I'm not at all opposed to violence in principle. I'd like to hear why it makes sense now.

>> I am looking forward to Lou Proyect's analysis of the BB, which he just told me he's working on.
>
> I wonder what's taking so long. He's published at least a dozen of
> these ill-informed, sectarianism-posing-as-antisectarianism rants over
> the decades. Cut-and-paste function on his computer not working?

His pieces on Zizek's anti-democratic position and on Bakunin, both of which I read over the last few ways, were terrific. I suspect this one will be too.

Doug