[lbo-talk] Foonote to RE: violence

123hop at comcast.net 123hop at comcast.net
Mon Nov 7 10:06:40 PST 2011

I can't recall a single person on this list who argued that violence should be avoided as a matter of principle.

Joanna

----- Original Message ----- From: "Dennis Claxton" <ddclaxton at earthlink.net> To: lbo-talk at lbo-talk.org, lbo-talk at lbo-talk.org Sent: Monday, November 7, 2011 8:19:19 AM Subject: Re: [lbo-talk] Foonote to RE: violence

At 05:59 AM 11/7/2011, Carrol Cox wrote:

>But "Violence" is not a principle of any kind; it
>is an empty generalization, naming nothing specific. We don't have a word,
>it seems, to express a principle 'opposite' to Non-Violence. That causes
>considerable confusion, and I don't know how that confusion can be
>clarified.

I posted the Angela Davis interview because she's addressing this difficulty I think.

>That's all true, but [Davis] doesn't address the question of whether
>the good guys should use violence, does it?
>
>Doug

But later she does talk about being armed in self-defense, so she's not saying it's to be avoided as a matter of principle.