[lbo-talk] Money is money

123hop at comcast.net 123hop at comcast.net
Tue Nov 8 10:30:33 PST 2011

I get your point Doug that moving money around is not as radical as people imagine because 1) the problem is political and 2) money is money: eventually it gets redirected to the big banks through fed funds.

But,

1) If the problem is political, there is some political consciousness changing as a result of people deciding to move the money to a place where they imagine there's more local control. That local control might be an illusion, but the fact of (sor far) 4.5 billion dollars being moved around is not an illusion, and it's just the beginning. If it proves not to be a game changer, it might be the first step of the many steps involved in people realizing that they can actually play more of a role in the allocation of resources. Like OWS, it moves the center of gravity from "them" to "us." A good thing.

2) Money might be money, but it still makes a difference in whose pockets it is. If I understanding accounting, the amount of leverage a bank can have depends upon deposits. The smaller the deposits, the smaller the leverage. There is then the possibility that decreasing that leverage will decrease the amount of speculation that goes on and also the amount of credibility/legitimacy capitalist banking enjoys.

Joanna