[lbo-talk] non-violence is the most powerful weapon we have

Jordan Hayes jmhayes at j-o-r-d-a-n.com
Wed Nov 9 08:36:30 PST 2011

Carrol writes:

> Violence (on the whole a meaningless term since it covers so
> many radically different actions) should at least be confined
> to action which physically harms other people.

So if you burn down my house, you've not 'physically harmed' me?

If you break the Starbucks window and I get laid off for a week while the neighborhood cools down, you haven't 'physically harmed' me?

If you blockade the Port and the cargo in my truck spoils and I don't get paid, you haven't 'physically harmed' me?

I think you're making a distinction where there is none.

/jordan