[lbo-talk] New New Left

Jordan Carroll jordanscarroll at gmail.com
Wed Nov 9 15:09:54 PST 2011

Right. The New Left does not equal Black Block anarchism, which does not equal OWS. But they each seem contain elements that believe that action should (somehow) precede theory and organization.

And Mailer's description of the Cuban revolution completely romantic.

I agree that we shouldn't try to theorize the future in a prescriptive and premature way, but I'm not sure if this is just a disease of "detached theorists." Those directly involved in protest have their own highly theoretical notions of what will happen next (e.g., OWS as "prefigurative"). Norman Mailer, marching on the Pentagon, imagines himself as an heir to Castro and asserts that his (supposedly) structureless action will produce the same success, even as he claims to be agnostic. The details might not be sketched out in bad utopian fashion, but occupying a park or spray painting a Whole Foods supermarket also imply some kind of preconceived, albeit implicit, speculations about the future.

Jordan S. C.