[lbo-talk] Occupy Oakland's imminent implosion and the wider effects

Bill Bartlett billbartlett at aapt.net.au
Thu Nov 10 17:56:15 PST 2011

At 1:46 AM +0100 11/11/11, Tayssir John Gabbour wrote:

>On Mon, Nov 7, 2011 at 4:20 AM, Bill Bartlett
><billbartlett at aapt.net.au> wrote:
>> At 4:44 PM +0100 6/11/11, Tayssir John Gabbour condemned the Black Bloc
>> thusly:
>>
>>> So, if 25-40% of employees steal, what is the reaction of a
>>> significant segment of the working class, when Whole Foods must pay a
>>> rounding-error for new windows?
>>
> > If property damage doesn't really hurt the employing class, then it is
>> futile and counter-productive to employ such childish tactics, I hear you
>> Tayssir.
>
>Just a quick note: This man has just twisted my words to mean the
>opposite of what I said. He did not, in fact, "hear me."

He's caught me out. I admit I knew that what Tayssir was actually saying was, to the effect that, if property damage doesn't really hurt the employing class, then it is *not* futile to employ such childish tactics.

Despite this I pretended he was saying the exact opposite. Guilty. It was a futile attempt at humour. I can't seem to get the hang of this humour thing.

Bill Bartlett Bracknell Tas