[lbo-talk] non-violence is the most powerful weapon we have

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Fri Nov 11 06:19:48 PST 2011

shag: That whole approach to using non-violence tactically gives me the creeps. It feels like we are purposefully putting people out to slaughter - the people who are naive about police brutality. --------

The way it usually works is that your announced plan includes two separate actins: There will be a peaceful (Note: not non-violent) demonstration, rally, legal picket, etc, and IN ADDITION there will be on the part of some of the demonstrators non-violent civil-disobedience. And one can offer just so much ‘protection’ (mostly in the form of simple information) of the naïve. If they are as totally naïve as shag seems to suggest here, too fucking bad. There will be times when the cops attack peaceful (note: peaceful, i.e. legal) demonstrations. The organizers are not responsible for that, and there is no reason to be creeped out. You do not deliberately deceive people, of course, as to the possibility of police violence, but you don’t worry too much about it either.

I notice that tj has got Bill B’s number.

Carrol