[lbo-talk] iraq film school

Dennis Redmond metalslorg at gmail.com
Sat Nov 12 11:13:12 PST 2011

On Sat, Nov 12, 2011 at 1:01 AM, Chuck Grimes <c123grimes at att.net> wrote:

> Anybody who ever dreamed of teaching would dream of these
> students. Their life depends on their vision and expression.
> The most existential shit I could imagine. Wow!!

Also see this site:

http://al-iraqi.deviantart.com/gallery/24896040

This is a gallery created by a young schoolteacher somewhere in Iraq, who creates GIFs and other artwork based on a range of media franchises. Her work on Konami's "Silent Hill" videogame franchise is astoundingly good. Don't be fooled by the simple pixels and cut-and-paste aesthetics -- she's citing one of the premier horror-survival franchises of all time and knows the characters, stories and tropes (especially their feminist subtexts -- "Silent Hill 3" has the most interesting female character of its era) in precise detail.

Out of horror, survival.

-- DRR