[lbo-talk] Progressive articles on European financial crisis?

// ravi ravi at platosbeard.org
Sat Nov 12 14:27:56 PST 2011

On Nov 12, 2011, at 4:28 PM, Doug Henwood wrote:
> On Nov 12, 2011, at 4:07 PM, Rick wrote:
>
>> Hi -- can anyone recommend where I can go online to read a good, thorough, historical analysis of the financial crisis in Europe? I'm not trained in economics so I'd need something intended for the layperson. I know the standard right-wing perspectives and have been seeing it everywhere in the mainstream media, and I just read Paul Krugman's rebuttal of some of those claims in Friday's NYT, but I don't know where to get a solid, complete left-wing analysis. Krugman suggests that a big part of the problem is the inability of the Eurozone countries to borrow in their own currency or print their own money, but I know there's more to it than that.
>
> A little old, but still:
>
> http://www.leftbusinessobserver.com/OldEurope.html

I don’t know what’s on that link, but everything I know about the current European debacle I learned by listening to Doug Henwood and Yannis Varoufakis. I admittedly know very little, but that is no fault of the two mentioned gents. I recommend giving the relevant podcasts a good listen.

—ravi, brown-nosing my way to a 4-post quota :-)