[lbo-talk] commentary on oakland "anarchist outsiders" and ishmaelreed op-ed

Chuck Grimes c123grimes at att.net
Sun Nov 13 13:07:19 PST 2011

That was actually a narrative spun afterward by then Oakland Mayor Ron Dellums and the Oakland Police, with the help of some of the local non-profiteers, who sought to attribute the uprisings as an expression of infiltrating anarchists rather than as a legitimate expression and rebellion by Oakland's black and Latino youth, who were just as prominent as white anarchists in smashing windows, raiding stores, setting fires, etc. I didn't and don't agree with a lot of these tactics. But I also saw the ways in which for leaders of color, blaming these tactics on white anarchists from outside was a way of pretending that things were all good at home!