[lbo-talk] Corey Robin on AJE on Bluestocking panel

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Tue Nov 15 05:45:25 PST 2011

On Nov 15, 2011, at 12:10 AM, Eric Beck wrote:

> I thought Robin's piece was unbearably smug. "I think you are shit,
> but I'll heroically defend your right to be shit" is not my favorite
> genre, with its disavowal of any sort of actual position. And then
> what he proceeds to say about "private" repression vs. "public"
> repression is a masterpiece in liberal hair-splitting.

Oh please. I think Lennard is full of shit - which is not the same as saying she is shit - but I tried to get her some work after the Times canned her. Solidarity, you know. That's not a disavowal of any position. I had a screaming argument with her but I still thought she was worth defending.

And what's with "liberal hair-splitting"? Corey's point is that the "private sector" does plenty of repression on its own - in our delightful capitalist democracy, the state isn't the only repressive agent. That's anything but a liberal point. It challenges the standard bourgeois splitting of the economic and the political.

Doug