[lbo-talk] Corey Robin on AJE on Bluestocking panel

Eric Beck ersatzdog at gmail.com
Tue Nov 15 07:12:49 PST 2011

On Tue, Nov 15, 2011 at 8:48 AM, Doug Henwood <dhenwood at panix.com> wrote:

> On Nov 15, 2011, at 9:40 AM, shag carpet bomb wrote:
>
>> more like reinforces it by pretending as if what happens in "civil
>> society" has nothing to do with the state/market
>
> On what do you base that?

It's clearly based on what he wrote. Did you read it? He's got repressive state power on one side and repressive private power on the other and they don't really meet. He defines slavery as private/economic power, which so absurd I can't believe he's serious. But he appears to be. Same with chain gangs and the Klan.

Contra your assertion that he "challenges the standard bourgeois splitting of the economic and the political," he only inverts the split and places the emphasis differently. But the split is still there, as is the implication that the state can be a neutral arbiter between labor and capital, a thoroughly liberal idea.