[lbo-talk] Corey Robin on AJE on Bluestocking panel

c b cb31450 at gmail.com
Wed Nov 16 05:41:05 PST 2011

Bill Bartlett b

Eric Beck wrote:

>Okay, Robin and I agree then. His claim that "however much coercive
>power the state wields-and it's considerable-it's not, in the end,
>where and how many, perhaps even most, people in the United States
>have historically experienced the raw end of politically repressive
>power" is silly, a distinction without a difference.

Arguments about to what extent the capitalist class rule by political repression miss the point. The ruling class do not need political dictatorship, they rule via economic dictatorship. Their rule is no less totalitarian for that.

^^^^^ CB: This is , in a way, the theoretical reason that the shift to Wall Street from Washington as a symbolic demonstration location is revolutionary in the protest form for Americans.