[lbo-talk] Corey Robin on AJE on Bluestocking panel

Michael Pollak mpollak at panix.com
Wed Nov 16 09:46:57 PST 2011

On Tue, 15 Nov 2011, Eric Beck wrote:

> On his blog, he titled it "Fear, American Style: What the Anarchist and
> Libertarian Don't Understand about the US" and had something in the
> first couple graphs about what "the left and the right don't
> understand." I actually read the part about Lennard as a digression on
> his way to pointing out anarchist myopia.

I see now why we had such opposite readings. In the al-Jazeera version (which is what I was using), the title and subtitle are virtually the opposite: "Fear, American Style: Americans have historically stood up to coercion - and the OWS movement might be the latest incarnation of resistance." Which makes it not about anarchist myopia, but about anarchists being the main group seeing it and resisting. In that context, those lines in the last paragraph seem tacked on rather than the main point. But if you take the blog as your text, I see your point.

Michael