[lbo-talk] Corey Robin on AJE on Bluestocking panel

Bill Bartlett billbartlett at aapt.net.au
Wed Nov 16 14:47:52 PST 2011

At 4:03 PM -0600 16/11/11, Eric Beck wrote:

>On Wed, Nov 16, 2011 at 3:35 PM, Bill Bartlett
><billbartlett at aapt.net.au> wrote:
>
>> This is not, in other words, Syria or Egypt, where political repression is
>> the immediate concern.
>
>As noted in the following articles, among others, this was not the case:

Egypt was/is ruled by an actual political dictatorship, the immediate demands were/are its removal. I think perhaps the protestors were demanding that the political dictatorship be replaced with political democracy (which amounts to economic dictatorship, in my analysis) but cannot say for sure as I'm relying on second hand reports.

Your complaint is ambiguous. If you are suggesting that the underlying problems were economic, then I would not dispute that. A society has to have an economic base, all politics have an economic base.

I don't know where you're coming from. Maybe you don't know where I'm coming from either?

Bill Bartlett Bracknell Tas