[lbo-talk] Occupying the Institutions

c b cb31450 at gmail.com
Thu Nov 17 09:31:37 PST 2011

Nicholas Roberts

the Occupy movement needs to get organized, needs to connect with existing movements that could do with a jolt of energy and new people, some risk takers

^^^ CB: This is exactly what the Occupation did in Detroit. It provided fresh troops and energy for our standing Left activist movements. First demo was with our longstanding "Moratorium on Foreclosures" at Bank of America. Then weekly demos with Welfare Rights against recent Tea Party cuts to welfare. Then they joined a local protest against lacking bus service, right there with the bottom of the 99%. For me it has been like a reunion seeing some activists I haven't seen for years at demos. These Occupation people are highly organized. They were feeding the homeless three meals a day and had a standing medical tent, all the while holding dozens of working group meetings and actions on progressive issues. It has been like the US Social Forum ( which was last held in Detroit) moving from theoretical discussion to action, action, action based on theory. Who said without revolutionary theory there can be no revolutionary movement ( smiles).

They got revolutionary theory. All hail the Occupation !