[lbo-talk] Purpose of austerity?

Rick cr70814 at verizon.net
Thu Nov 17 10:11:48 PST 2011

I want to thank everyone for this forum and for the answers to my queries. It's much appreciated by this long-time left-winger still struggling to understand economic matters.

I read somewhere in the progressive press the suggestion that banks and corporations are insisting on austerity in order to free up money to pay interest on our loans. I'm trying to understand this better: what loans are we talking about? How exactly does public austerity free up money to pay back loans? Is it that the federal government, shorn of the need to pay for public social welfare programs, can then use this 'saved' money instead to pay back loans to banks from whom they previously borrowed money?