[lbo-talk] People's libraries

John Gulick john_gulick at hotmail.com
Thu Nov 17 13:44:25 PST 2011

shag

>Today's people's library makes all the handwringing over the death of
print, the death of reading, and how kids these days are hopelessly demobilized by technology seem quaint.

gulick

Please. There may be myriad problems with such handwringing, and I'll confess to being guilty of reductive handwringing from time to time. Yes, the OWS'ers devotion to the People's Library (now chucked in a trash bin by the NYC fuzz, yes?) is inspiring, but hardly represents a significant counter-trend to the dominant tendency. (Do you really believe that the Occupations at present, whatever promises they carry, could effectuate such a widespread cultural revolution? Crazy.) Or, it only represents a counter-trend if the advocates of the "handwringing" perspective argued that ALL young-uns are addicted 24-7 to their gadgets, which they never did.

I swear, shag, your game lately seems to be one of playing gotcha, and not very adeptly either.