[lbo-talk] Very good sentences

Max Sawicky sawicky at verizon.net
Fri Nov 18 09:58:43 PST 2011

>From Luc Sante's "Kill All Your Darlings", his remembrance of Allen
Ginsberg:

. . . the Situationists, who in the first issue of their journal, in 1958, had written: "The rotten egg smell exuded by the idea of God envelops the mystical cretins of the American 'Beat Generation.'" Like the Sits I had been raised in a Catholic culture, so I was not about to fall for any incense or chanting or beads, which I knew full well to be lollipops handed out by the police in order to mask the sight of their truncheons. Despite this I remained in awe of Allen . . .

Sante also has a big essay on the Mekons, for whom he has much praise, though about the release of their hit record 'The Mekons Rock 'n' Roll' there is this:

"It entered heavy rotation on all broadcast media. The band got rich and fat and loathsome. It was hard to remember them as young rebel poets from Leeds considering the gaseous VIP-lounge hairballs they had become."