[lbo-talk] Very good sentences

Charles Turner vze26m98 at gmail.com
Fri Nov 18 11:59:29 PST 2011

On Fri, Nov 18, 2011 at 1:21 PM, Doug Henwood <dhenwood at panix.com> wrote:

> Wow, that's just weird. I wonder what the sales figures were on R n R. I seriously doubt they got rich. And they became anything but gaseous VIP-lounce hairballs. Maybe my deep love for the Mekons is just blinding me.

Here's Christgau. I can hear the ka-ching of cash registers:

"Unfortunately--or fortunately, if you fear for their purity, always a highly sporadic concern on their end--their service, such as it was, proved short-lived. Rock 'n' Roll's release was held up while A&M's lawyers fretted over the unauthorized Elvis pic cunningly concealed on the cover, and U.S. sales topped out at under 25,000. Had you asked the Mekons' camp back then, you would have heard the sad old stories of paltry tour support, nonexistent ads, fans who couldn't find the thing in the shops. The Mekons declined to ingratiate themselves with label honchos in L.A., instead finishing up their U.S. dates there and returning to their European fan base. "

<http://www.mekons.de/rollrev.htm>