[lbo-talk] New School occupation

Eric Beck ersatzdog at gmail.com
Fri Nov 18 12:02:18 PST 2011

On Fri, Nov 18, 2011 at 1:41 PM, shag carpet bomb <shag at cleandraws.com> wrote:

> Not to take away from the message, but this reminded me of something I
> thought of as I was reading tweets of people complaining that they
> were being profiled if they looked like a protestor.

I don't mind your taking away from the message. I think the internalizing of concerns about health and safety and the subsequent proud self-management of them should be criticized. I suppose the NS occupiers believe they can short-circuit criticisms from the hygiene police by preemptively declaring agreement with them, but as you note below, the process and criteria for racialization/Othering are highly mobile. The occupiers can't keep up with that, and it only legitimizes the O'Reilly's to share their concerns.

> The language of disease, health, filth, safety, sanitation and the
> need to *clean* the parks was especially, uh, interesting.

The parks are always *power*washed. A regular wash is not enough. In Austin, the occupiers have adopted the same language as the city.