[lbo-talk] A Note on the Middle 75%

Chris Sturr sturr at dollarsandsense.org
Sat Nov 19 08:25:00 PST 2011

I agree with what Joanna is saying here (and with Carrol too). But about Joanna's earlier post, to the effect that people aren't outraged about mass imprisonment and don't know about it--I think that's right, but I have found that it's pretty easy to get people outraged by giving them the facts. And giving people the facts also helps them understand the demand for abolition. Among the points I find it helpful to make, besides the shocking numbers (2.4 million in prison or jail; 6 or 7 million under supervision, i.e. in prison or jail or on parole or probation; comparing that to other countries) are these: (1) that the number of prisoners in the U.S. has increased ten-fold since the early 70s, and the rate of incarceration has increased six-fold; (2) that the crime rate has remained basically steady; and (3) (this seems crucial) that in the early 70s, when there were 1/10th the number of prisoners there are now, there was a radical prison abolitionist movement that thought that some 9/10ths of the prisoners there were *then* didn't belong in prison or jail (so, no need to talk about pre-modern society without prisons). So you can move people toward abolitionism by talking about the goal of reducing to a bare minimum the number of people that "we" put in cages. I have found that people start to get it then.

Two great documents from the 70s prison abolitionist movement are an obscure but really sophisticated document by a working group of the American Friends Service Committee called "The Struggle for Justice" (in the 70s, retributivist rhetoric was preferable to the rhetoric of rehabilitation; of course retributivism got taken over by the right), and Jessica Mitford's incredible book Kind and Usual Punishment. Mitford's book is powerful on many points, including the one Joanna makes, that there are plenty of murderers and rapists and thieves who never get caught and society doesn't collapse because of it (a related point: the more serious the crime, the lower the recidivism rate, so incapacitation of people who commit really serious crimes is less important; for the less serious crimes, it's less important because the crimes aren't so serious. Shoplifting, e.g., should be decriminalized--spending public money incarcerating shoplifters is a huge subsidy to WalMart). There are also shocking sections on drug experimentation on prisoners. But another reason Mitford's book is a great and sometimes hilarious read is how her patrician writing style combines with her hard-hitting radicalism. At one point she's talking about her experience staying overnight in a prison with a study group she was in. When she describes the induction process they were led through (being strip searched, etc.), she says something like: "They called this 'reception,' but this was unlike any reception I'd ever been to!" I can't read that line without thinking of cucumber sandwiches and sherry.

One last thing about "abolition" vs. "reform" (and don't get me started on "rehabilitation"): I find it useful to talk about prison as "caging human beings," and to draw parallels with slavery. Leftists shouldn't speak of "prison reform" any more than it would make sense to speak of the reform of slavery or the reform of cruelty to animals--caging human beings is something we want to eliminate, not do more effectively or efficiently. (I'm talking about rhetoric here--there are obvious further questions to ask about how a future society would deal with Charles Manson or rapists. For starters, can we work toward something like the Finnish system, with their tiny incarceration rate, and try to get as close to no caging of human beings as we can?) And abolition is a really good entree to talking about capitalism: if our economic system wouldn't work if we didn't cage so many people, isn't it time to question that economic system?