[lbo-talk] POC opposition to Occupy

shag carpet bomb shag at cleandraws.com
Sat Nov 19 09:11:26 PST 2011

I saw some of this sentiment early on from women of color bloggers, most of whom consider themselves radical. I've wondered if it would change. From what I'm reading of my former blogmates, it isn't. There's a decided resistance to involvement with OWS b/c it is seen as white, me-want-pie-too analysis, and manifestation of white supremacy. The following are tumblr posts that have been viral on the RWOC networks for the last couple of days:

"OWS is not against the system, OWS is the system because WHITENESS and IMPERIALISM are at the heart of the problem.

Anyone with half a brain can see through this and this is why I warn any PoC to stay away from this mascarade, we already have to fight our own oppression and we do not need to fight the white man’s war when he is the one oppressing us !!

This is what I loathe so much about OWS and all the white self-righteous and pompous narcissistic pseudo-revolutionists : Their self-entitlement. The idea that us, the brown people, the people of lesser importance, owe it to them to always stand behind them and support them in any of their struggle, because they are of course always on the right side, always right and none of their motives is questionable. And of course, they would owe nothing back to us !! We are the people of lesser importance, none of our struggle is theirs but all of their struggle is automatically ours !!! Never trust a group of privilege people who claim to be the 99% when they are clearly the 20% living off our backs like parasites. PoC keep clear !!!

I hope this is clear, because I do not intend to repeat myself and if you have a problem with this, you are fucking free of getting the fuck off my page or hitting the fucking “unfollow” button.

I have forgotten to add that this also goes for any movement led by white people."

http://dreams-from-my-father.tumblr.com/post/12895593474/ok-this-is-for-all-the-people-who-inboxed-me-or ---

but wait! there’s MORE race fuckery!!!!!!!!

so i guess OWS (or whoever posted that list since everyone’s all “OWS is decentralized! that list isn’t representative of OWS!!!11!!!1!) got hip to the fact that there were no people of color on their “essential reading list.” and this is what they had to say in response:

Why no authors of color on the Primer List? • No reason whatsoever. We wanted to be blind to the “color”, religion, gender, culture, socio-economic status, etc. of all the authors, as content is king for this site’s objective. While the messenger must always be considered, the message/information trumps priority of the writer’s personal background. Many authors of all creeds will be included in the future, surely. Not because of the color of their skin, but the content of their writings.

http://so-treu.tumblr.com/post/12948969822/but-wait-theres-more-race-fuckery