[lbo-talk] Questions from before the Global Minotaur...

Dennis Claxton ddclaxton at earthlink.net
Tue Nov 22 12:46:05 PST 2011

Chuck wrote:

>I don't mind hearing about Warhol. But give me some explanation or
>description of what the fan club likes and thinks about Warhol.

I'm running out the door but, quickly, what gets lost in talk about how new Warhol was, is how traditional he was. My favorite stuff is very early. The suicide, car crash, and electric chair series are in the tradition of Goya's Caprichos. Later he lost that thread and started painting portraits of the rich and famous. But I don't need to point out that this was also traditional.

I think you can divide Warhol into before he was shot and after he was shot. After the shooting he retreated from the factory wildness and entered a safe world of privilege. It affected the themes he worked on, but the work was still just as good.