[lbo-talk] [PSN-CS] the soc mov'ts class outline

Thomas Volscho Thomas.Volscho at csi.cuny.edu
Tue Nov 22 13:44:29 PST 2011

This discussion reminded me of a recent book on the Oklahoma City tragedy by Stuart Wright (Patriots, Politics...2007, Cambridge UP). Apparently Tim McVeigh and the militias he trained with (clustered through Michigan) were composed mostly of people who were severely impacted by the farm crisis (farmers who lost their farms, etc.).

On 11/22/2011 04:32 PM, lbo-talk-request at lbo-talk.org wrote:
> Re: [lbo-talk] [PSN-CS] the soc mov'ts class outline

Carrol Cox: the core way of estimating the social movements between 1970& now: How many people did a given movement 'recruit' who then _remained_ activists and now link present to past.

I will raise that issue regularly. There is some data on the ways that each round of farm/farm labor struggle has been able to find/draw on veterans from previous stuggles, just as there are many reports of the importance of older ex-Panthers etc. to later urban struggles... but, as you note, good empirical data is brutally hard to find.

-- Thomas W. Volscho Assistant Professor of Sociology Department of Sociology, Anthropology, and Social Work City University of New York College of Staten Island 2800 Victory Blvd., Bldg. 4S, Room 210 Staten Island, NY 10314

phone: 718-982-3781

email: thomas.volscho at csi.cuny.edu web: http://scholar.library.csi.cuny.edu/~volschot