[lbo-talk] Testing one two three

Mike Beggs mikejbeggs at gmail.com
Wed Nov 23 14:32:50 PST 2011

On Thu, Nov 24, 2011 at 7:21 AM, Carrol Cox <cbcox at ilstu.edu> wrote:

> Do you know of any successful boycott in which there was no way of
> witnessing who boycotted and who didn't -- and where the penalties as severe
> as they could be for isolated individuals boycotting the tests.

It is possible to do an organised boycott of testing - and I agree that that's the only kind that makes sense. In Australia last year the teachers' union threatened a boycott of the NAPLAN national literacy and numeracy standardised tests, and when the government suggested parents could supervise them, the parents' association refused to cooperate.

http://www.schoolsmatter.info/2010/04/australian-teachers-vote-unanimously-to.html

Ultimately the boycott was called off after negotiations with the union... But still, it shows the possibility.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news/julia-gillard-forced-teachers-to-call-off-boycott/story-e6frg6n6-1225863335500

Mike