[lbo-talk] call them occupiers

shag carpet bomb shag at cleandraws.com
Wed Nov 23 19:06:04 PST 2011

Through a FOIA request, reclaimuc obtained a 300 pg pdf of email exchanged between "UC Berkeley deans, chancellors, public relations officers, cops on how to stop the building occupations in Fall 2009."

Turns out that, in regard to the UC Occupations in 2009, Birgeneau was writing memos about arrests and what a great job the cops were doing, before the arrests. The best part is where "Bob" (Birgeneau) approves the template letter but with a request to call the protestors something else because calling them activists evokes too much 'gravitas'. ha.

"What follows appears on p. 243. It’s an account of that Friday’s (of 2009) arrests, written in its entirety on Thursday, the day before anything had happened. With a note: “We will need UCPD to fill in the blanks asap Friday morning.”

Chancellor Birgeneau replies, asking that the protesters not be referred to as “activists” because that gives them “gravitas,” and requests that a quote from him be added expressing his admiration for the professional way in which the police removed the illegal protesters.

HE ASKED THAT THIS QUOTE BE ADDED THE DAY BEFORE THE PROTEST HAD TAKEN PLACE.

This says everything we need to know about the good faith with which the administration has been operating.

From: Janet Gilmore [jangilmore at berkeley.edu] Sent: Thursday, December 10, 2009 6:45 To: Claire Holmes Cc: mjc at berkeley.edu, dmogulof at berkeley.edu, jangilmore at berkeley.edu, Margo Bennett Subject: Draft Wheeler brief for web

Claire, Take a look, change as needed and please get to California Hall OK, as needed. We will need UCPD to fill in the blanks asap Friday morning. –Janet

DRAFT

University of California, Berkeley, police arrested xxx trespassing student activists and other protesters this morning (Friday, Dec. 11), hours before the group was set to hold an unauthorized concert inside a classroom building.

According to UC police, xxx individuals were arrested and cited for XXXXXX at XXX {time} this morning {XXX and taken to XXXX jail/Or cited and released!}. The group included xxx students and xxx individuals not affiliated with UC Berkeley.

The activists, who have been protesting against student fee increases and other issues, had maintained an illegal though largely nondisruptive 24-hour presence inside Wheeler Hall since Monday.

However, by week’s end the group began announcing plans for an unauthorized concert featuring guest artists and a DJ — an event that threatened to disrupt final examinations scheduled to take place in that same building on Saturday.

Campus staff spoke with the organizers about the issue, but the activists vowed to go forward. Their publicity materials stated that the concert would begin Friday night and would end “8 a.m. Saturday” and until “the cops kick in the doors.” Final examinations are set to begin inside Wheeler Hall at 9 a.m. Saturday.

“Once the activists refused to reconsider plans to hold an unauthorized all-night concert in an academic building we had to take steps to ensure that finals could go forward,” said Dan Mogulof, campus spokesman. “Our primary responsibility is to the campus’s core academic mission and the 35,000 students who are not participating in the activists’ efforts.”

Campus police are currently monitoring access to Wheeler Hall to ensure that only authorized faculty and staff are allowed in. Classroom review sessions that were scheduled to take place inside Wheeler today will instead take place in XXXXX and as indicated on fliers posted outside of XXXX.

Wheeler Hall is one of the campus’s largest classroom buildings and is open for campus business daily until 10 p.m. The trespassing group, which ranged from a dozen to several dozen at any given time this week, were not authorized to hold events inside the building; nor to sleep in the building overnight. Police cautioned activists every night this week — including Thursday night — that they were subject to arrest and student conduct code sanctions for their actions.

The activists entered Wheeler Hall on Monday and since then had set up information tables inside the building, stashed food and refreshments, posted banners, strummed guitars, played late-night music and declared the building an “open university.” Early in the week they appeared to be taking steps to ensure that their activities would not conflict with classroom review sessions underway inside the building.

p. 245

From: Robert J. Birgeneau Sent: Thursday, December 10, 2009 8:59 PM To: ‘Claire Holmes’; Beata Fitzpatrick’; George Breslauer’; ‘Phyllis Hoffman’ Cc: ‘Janet Gilmore’ Subject: RE: DRAFT text for Wheeler story

Hi Claire, I agree with the basic message. However, we need to find a new word other than “activists” to describe the protesters; that descriptor gives them too much gravitas. I prefer: intruders, occupiers, and/or protesters. Also, assuming that everything goes according to plan, I would like a quote expressing my admiration for the very professional way in which the police managed to apprehend and remove the illegal occupiers.

Bob

http://excrementalvirtue.com/2011/11/22/the-chancellors-statement-on-how-professionally-the-police-dealt-with-protesters-was-written-the-day-before-anything-had-happened/