[lbo-talk] West Coast Port Shut Down 12/12

SA s11131978 at gmail.com
Wed Nov 23 22:55:15 PST 2011

On 11/23/2011 9:38 PM, shag carpet bomb wrote:

> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jtzhPTPzjho
>
> http://westcoastportshutdown.org/
>
> A Call for a Coordinated Blockade of ALL West Coast Ports
>
> By admin on 22 Nov 2011
> Greetings and Solidarity from Occupy Oakland!
>
> We present this call to you because we believe it is time the
> occupation movement begins to work together to carry through
> coordinated, pinpointed actions. We want to disrupt the profits of
> the 1% and show solidarity with those in the 99% who are under direct
> attack by corporate tyranny.
>
> Occupations throughout the US have been evicted through nationally
> coordinated police raids. It is time for us to respond with our own
> coordinated actions. Our aim is to shutdown the West Coast ports

I read somewhere that this is opposed by West Coast longshoremen, but I don't know if that's true. Anybody know more about the longshoremen's position?

Also, on a similar note:

http://www.stopblackfriday.com/

My impression is that none of these planned actions has been coordinated with the workers affected. Is that right?

So far, the Occupy movement has targeted Sotheby's and the Oakland ports -- to excellent effect -- in coordination with the workers there. It seems to me that there should be a general principle at work, with few exceptions: If you target a workplace, you must coordinate with and have the approval of the workers there in advance. If not, the action is wrongheaded and should be aborted.

SA