[lbo-talk] Questions from before the Global Minotaur...

Wojtek S wsoko52 at gmail.com
Thu Nov 24 06:25:17 PST 2011

Ravi: " sells implies some sort of market or consumer decision"

[WS:] Not necessarily, at least not in the "individualistic" sense. The market system encourages competition, which in the intellectual commodity business invariably means vying for audience's attention. So everyone tries to outbid everyone else by employing more and more crass attention grabbing gimmicks - hence the primacy of showmanship over craftsmanship. It is the race to the bottom and it comes not form individualistic preferences, as the market apologists want us to believe, but from the market system itself.

I am reasonably sure that if we had generous public financing of the arts so the artists do not have to vie for attention and novelty to survive, the ratio of craftsmanship to showmanship in the arts would significantly improve.

Wojtek