[lbo-talk] Questions from before the Global Minotaur...

Charles Turner vze26m98 at gmail.com
Fri Nov 25 05:37:30 PST 2011

On Thu, Nov 24, 2011 at 5:08 PM, Wojtek S <wsoko52 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Criticizing Warhol
> is not just an aesthetic statement, but a rejection of the whole
> system of social mythologies that he and his art signify, and
> therefore met with thinly veiled hostility from those who identify
> with those mythologies.

We've been through this on the list before, and the consensus seems to be that because you can't build a yardstick that works for both George Grosz and Jacques Louis David for example, you have to give up. If the comparison/critique is a bit more selective, reducing some of the free variables, I think you can say some interesting things about works of art.

For Warhol's "pop" iconography, how's he different from Richard Hamilton?

<http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-GurOyPITf5s/Te5uQQ79DAI/AAAAAAAAABs/E6r2JZKt6UU/s1600/justwhatisit.jpg>

And his formal innovations, how to differentiate them from Donald Judd?

<http://commonconstructions.files.wordpress.com/2011/01/image-axd.jpeg>