[lbo-talk] Questions from before the Global Minotaur...

Somebody Somebody philos_case at yahoo.com
Fri Nov 25 22:55:37 PST 2011

> So you skip Goya's Caprichos or 1814 Execution of Spanish under
> Napoleon, Velazquez's Surrender of Breda (plus most of his
> portraits), Guernica.... and on and on.

Not necessarily, since as he said he goes to view art in museums for "aesthetic reasons". So long as those exist in works by Goya or Velazquez, they survive irrespective of political considerations.

We know precious little about the religions and politics of pre-Inca non-literate civilizations in Peru for example, so their art can scarcely any longer have ideological content beyond conjecture. Yet they can be worth visiting at the museum for purely aesthetic reasons.