[lbo-talk] Katha Pollit

Miles Jackson milesvjackson at comcast.net
Sat Nov 26 11:02:03 PST 2011

123hop at comcast.net wrote:

>I was horrified to find out, after reading the Atlantic article on college sports, that "student atheletes" are not covered by workman's comp if they get injured. They're not covered by anything. It's little better than slavery.
>
>Joanna

Yeah, my father was on a full ride football scholarship at the U of W, blew out his knee as a freshman, lost his scholarship in his sophomore year. He had to drop out. This was back in the fifties; I hear the big schools are a bit more generous with the scholarships for injured athletes now, but it's still a bizarre racket.

Miles