[lbo-talk] Questions from before the Global Minotaur...

Wojtek S wsoko52 at gmail.com
Sat Nov 26 14:04:28 PST 2011

Dennis: "I don't like Billy Joel, but I wouldn't argue he can't write or doesn't know how to play piano."

[WS:] Nor do I like Andy Warhol's art, but I would not argue that he does not know how to paint. The point, which you seem to refuse to acknowledge, is that there is a difference between the artist and his/her art. It does not matter what skills the artist has or does not have, but what one can or cannot sell in the market. The market dictates what art is being produced more than the artist's craftsmanship does. There is a scene in the film "The Pianist" by Roman Polanski in which Szpilman, who is a renown concert pianist, plays popular tunes in a restaurant. One can legitimately say that in this time period Szpilman razzle-dazzled the public with popular "schlagers" to survive, although it would be absurd to say that he did not have the craftsmanship.

This is btw pretty consistent with the Marxist argument that it does not matter whether capitalists are virtuous or not, since the market forces them to act in a certain way (i.e. exploit labor) regardless of what they may feel about it.

Wojtek