[lbo-talk] California rail project

Jordan Hayes jmhayes at j-o-r-d-a-n.com
Sun Nov 27 22:08:21 PST 2011

>> Paris is one of the most densely populated cities in the world: it is
>> the largest-densest city outside of India
>
> I agree with Michael that you're making a lot of sense, but looking at
> this list I don't see how you're ranking Paris. What am I missing?
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_cities_proper_by_population_density

That's a good list! Leave it to Wikipedia junkies to compile this stuff ...

It's ranked, by default, by density. Find Paris: 32nd on that list. Now search up from there to find cities that have more than 2.1M people. You'll find only 4, all of them in India.

That is: you can find plenty of places that are denser, but they are almost all smaller. Union City, up here in NorCal: 39th in density, but tiny: 62k people, so like who cares?

My point: France is different, and Paris more so. This combination of density and size makes it an awesome market for rail.

/jordan