[lbo-talk] California rail project

Wojtek S wsoko52 at gmail.com
Mon Nov 28 10:15:16 PST 2011

Jordan: "I'm sure that could get worked out. But the real issue is very few of the projected passengers would be going to an area that's close to downtown San Francisco, anyway."

[WS:] I used to work as an aide for a country supervisor in San Jose, and from what I heard back then - anything involving any kind rail passing through San Mateo county was DOA due to visceral resident opposition over "property values." Maybe that changed, but I doubt. A more realistic scenario involved rail alignment on the eastern side of the Bay, connecting San Jose and Oakland. I would imagine this would work with high speed rail as well, especially if it was extended to Sacramento.

On a different note - it is sad when lefties start talking about 'economic viability' which is a code word for profit potential of a project. We live in an era of unprecedented productivity. Our economy can produce virtually all good things that can be produce, yet we talk as we lived under a condition of utmost scarcity. I understand that this is a result of neoliberal brainwashing, but we do not have to fall for this hogwash. Why not talkin about project from the point of view of what is good for the humanity and environment?
>From that pov, high speed rail is far more beneficial than short
distance flying, so it does deserve deployment of resources. And who gives a flying fuck if someone cannot make a profit our of it?

Wojtek

Wojtek